If you’re a digital marketer targeting Europe, you can get some valuable insights about trends while possibly forecasting the future thanks to a study released by comScore. The report, “2013 Europe Digital Future in Focus,” pinpoints Europe’s trends in mobile, online video, search and web usage.
For example, comScore’s press release indicates that Europe’s No. 1 news and information site is actually American (details discussed further down). Russia has the largest number of Internet users in Europe, but Turkey can boast about having the youngest Web aficionados.
The report shows the top sites for all 18 European countries measured by ComScore, as well as an overview of top news, retail and online banking sites in each market.
“European consumers are more digitally engaged than ever before and their usage of mobile, internet-enabled devices is re-defining the media landscape,” said Paul Goode, chief advisor industry relations for comScore in Europe.
comScore (www.comscore.com) is a major player in digital measurement and analytics.
“Advertisers, agencies and media owners need to understand the rising number of multi-platform consumers and the more complex digital ecosystem that has developed over the past years,” added Mr. Goode. “Insights about key trends and underlying drivers enable clients to manage their digital investments effectively.”
The report’s key takeaways:
- 408.3 million people in Europe used the desktop-based internet in December 2012, a 7 percent increase over the past year. Turkey has the youngest European internet audience with nearly 70 percent under the age of 35. Source: comScore MMX
- Russia widens the gap to Germany as Europe’s country with the largest online audience (61.3 million), while Italy’s internet audience grew the fastest over the past year (up 17 percent). Source: comScore MMX
- 57 percent of EU5 (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK) mobile users owned a smartphone in the 3 month average ending December 2012. Spain’s mobile audience showed the highest adoption of smartphones with 66 percent.Source: comScore MobiLens
- In the EU5 region, Samsung leads the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) market with a 32 percent share, whilst Google is the operating system of choice for 50 percent of EU5 smartphone users. Apple was the smartphone manufacturer with the 2nd largest user base and also ranked as the 2nd most popular smartphone operating system (OS). Source: comScore MobiLens
- EU5 online video audience grew 5 percent over the past year, whilst the number of mobile video viewers jumped by 162 percent since December 2011. Leading online video platforms across Europe are YouTube (Google), Dailymotion, Facebook and VEVO. Source: comScore Video Metrix
- Yandex Web Search captured a 10 percent share of the European search market in December 2012. Source: comScore qSearch
- 1 in 3 display ad impressions were never seen, according to comScore’s European validated Campaign Essentials (vCE) charter study conducted between March and August 2012.
- Time spent on news/information sites increased by 10 percent amongst European internet users. The most visited news/information resource was Yahoo!-ABC News Network (34.6 million), followed by the BBC (27.4 million). HPMG News, which includes sites such as Huffington Post and TechCrunch, ranked as the 3rd largest news/information site and saw the strongest audience growth amongst the top 10 over the past year (up 60 percent). Source: comScore MMX
- 19.2 million EU5 smartphone users purchased a product or service via their device in the 3 month average ending December 2012 (14.1 percent of EU5 smartphone owners). Source: comScore MobiLens
To read the report, visit: http://www.comscore.com/FutureinFocus2013
From the Coach’s Corner, here are related resources:
- Worldwide Survey Reveals Changing Attitudes of Internet Users
- 7 Tips to Hire Marketers for Traditional and Experiential Expertise
- Social Media vs. Traditional Online Marketing – Where’s the Money?
- 9 Tips to Evaluate Online Advertising Options
“A brand name is more than a word. It is the beginning of a conversation.”
Author Terry Corbell has written innumerable online business-enhancement articles, and is a business-performance consultant and profit professional. Click here to see his management services. For a complimentary chat about your business situation or to schedule him as a speaker, consultant or author, please contact Terry.